Saturday, January 28, 2017

New Plan

So, back when I was in school, I always had a long list of things that I wanted to do over the summer. It always included some of everything:

-Places I wanted to go, like the beach and amusement parks.
-Practicing acting, singing, and dancing (these things were the focus of my life back in high school)
-writing projects for my journals
-making up jumping tricks on the trampoline
-art projects
-decorating my room
-ideas I wanted to try from American Girl Magazine, such as crafts and recipes
-books to read
-movies to watch

I never did every single thing on my list (these were very long lists), but I got through a lot of things, and it felt so good to be able to check things off that I wanted to do.

I've decided that I want to do that again - not just for summer specifically, but I want to have an ongoing list of things that I want to do, and then check them off. This used to make me feel so good in the summers, I think it would make me feel good now and help me to focus on who I want to be and what I want to do.

During the school year, I often used to keep lists in my journal that I called "Friday Lists." These were shorter lists of things that would pop into my mind that I wanted to do but didn't have time to do at the moment, so that when I did have more time on the weekend, I would remember what I wanted to do.

Now that I have more time to do things, I've sort of lost track of my goals and I often end up crashing and not doing much because I don't have that list of fun things that I want to work on. So, I've decided to start keeping a list of things I want to do. I haven't decided yet whether I want this to be just an ongoing list that I check things off of, or if I want to divide it up by months. I think months might be a better idea because I know I worked well when I felt like I had to get everything into summer that I could. And there are some goals that specifically need to be done within a certain time frame, such as making holiday gifts for people or planning my birthday party. What I'll probably do is set up a new folder in my Word files for these monthly lists, and at the end of each month, anything I haven't done but still want to do will get bumped to the next month. I think this will work better because in my journals, the lists were there permanently and I crossed out what I had done with just one line, but I could still look back and read my old goals and remember what was important to me at the time. Since my computer files are like my journal now, I'd like to do the same thing, be able to cross things out like this but still be able to read them. Or maybe I'll highlight the things I've already done. Yeah, that may work better because I love to color-code things. I'll decide. But anyway, I'm not going to post these lists on my blog because some of the things are very personal and also because I don't want to feel any sort of outside pressure of other people knowing what my goals are. But I may post some of them on occasion, since this is sort of a journal but different. But yeah, I think this will make me feel much better and help me have the kind of life that I want to have. I'm gonna start my February list today, and I'll start a separate list for birthday-party-planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment