Sunday, February 5, 2017

I Want You to Fail

[Content: Violence aimed at marginalized people]

Something I need to explain once and for all to people who are calling us sore losers for fighting against the Trump presidency, as if we just can't handle that Clinton or Sanders didn't win, and people who think it's bad to want Trump to fail:

There is a such a thing as being a sore loser. If I were on a sports team, for instance, and a teammate and I both wanted to be picked as team captain, and when they won, I hoped that they would fail at being team captain just so that everyone would know I would have made a better one - that would make me a sore loser. 

But if my teammate who wanted to be team captain told me that they secretly hated a person on the team, and they had a plan to get the rest of the team to also hate this person and take them out to the woods and beat them up - I would want them to fail at that plan, I would do everything I could to stop that plan, and that would not make me a sore loser, it would make me someone who is not going to stand for my teammate getting beaten up. It's not about wanting the captain to fail because I dislike them as a person, or because I want to prove that I would be a better captain - it's about not allowing the injustice to happen. 

And I don't care who the person is - whether it's someone I admire or my best friend - if you tell me you have a plan to harm a bunch of people, I would want you to fail at that plan.

So, where Trump is concerned:

If you're going to ban Syrian refugees from entering the country when they are in a war zone and need a place to go, I want you to fail.

If you're going to ban Muslim people from traveling and reentering the country, and accuse all Muslim immigrants of being terrorists, I want you to fail.

If you're going to allow the police to continue targeting and killing Black people, I want you to fail.

If you're going to deport undocumented immigrants and separate people from their families and their homes, I want you to fail.

If you're going to build a wall to not allow Mexican immigrants into the country, I want you to fail.

If you're going to cut off health care to millions of people, I want you to fail.

If you're going to prevent access to safe abortions, I want you to fail.

If you're going to overturn protection for LGBTQ people, so it becomes acceptable to hire and fire people on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity, I want you to fail.

If you're going to perpetuate rape culture from a leadership position and normalize the idea that men are entitled to women's bodies, I want you to fail.

If you're going to cut funding for public schools, food stamps, welfare, and any other service that people need, I want you to fail.

If you're going to not raise the minimum wage and not help people get out of poverty, I want you to fail.

This is not a case of wanting Trump to fail simply to prove that Bernie Sanders would have done better. What Trump is doing is NOT OKAY and I want him to fail at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment