Friday, February 24, 2017

Setting the Bar

I don't find it particularly worthwhile to just sit and stare at a metal bar all day. Maybe some people are into that sorta thing, but it's just not for me. If someone told me to keep staring at the metal bar because if I did, I'd get to see something happen, I would look for a little while, but I would eventually get bored and decide to do something else with my time.

When you set the bar really high for me - that is, you have high expectations of me when I have not consented to meeting those expectations (like, expecting me to behave like a responsible adult and be functional and unentitled and polite and all that) - I am NOT going to ever meet those expectations, I will never rise to the challenge. What I will do is walk away entirely. If you set that bar, I will walk away and you will never see me reach it because I will refuse.

So if you like to set those kinds of sky-high expectations of non-consenting people such as myself, I hope you enjoy staring at metal bars all day long with no one reaching them or climbing them or anything, because that is what you will be left doing when I walk away from the high bar that you have set for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment